Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Halloween Safety Guide for Pets and their People

Some of these may seem obvious but it is important to stress safety when it comes to your significant other :)

1)As much as your dog may beg for some of your Halloween candy, always remember that chocolate can be deadly to them.

2)The wrappers, such as tin foil, can get stuck in your pets digestive tract and make them ill or cause death.

3)Dogs can have lethal tails (I know this from personal experience...Bryson), wagging all over the place. Don't leave any lighted candles or Jack-O-Lanterns where they could be knocked over by a swinging tail.

4)If you are going to dress your pet in a costume, keep in mind that unless your pet is extremely receptive to this kind of thing, you could be causing it discomfort and stress. Some animals don't mind at all but others do not want anything to do with this.

5)Popular Halloween plants such as pumpkins and decorative corn are considered to be relatively nontoxic, yet they can produce gastrointestinal upset should pets ingest them. Intestinal blockage could even occur if large pieces are ingested.

6)IDs, please! Always make sure your dog or cat has proper identification. If for any reason your pet escapes and become lost, a collar and tags and/or a microchip increase the chances that he or she will be returned to you.

All information provided by and

No comments: