Thursday, October 19, 2006

A Bit Worried

I'm sure that most of us have heard by now that the PETS Act has been passed by both the Senate and the House of Representatives. Though I was initially extremely happy about this and felt like it was a true victory I'm beginning to wonder if there's any real bite to the bill. It's easy to think that with the passing of the bill states are now required by law to assist people with pets in natural disasters. But in a closer examination of the language, it seems that states are merely required to CREATE a disaster PLAN for people with pets. It does not look like states will be required to enforce this plan. I'm no lawyer so perhaps I'm missing something. Regardless, when the SC disaster plan for pets is revealed we should start asking how the state expects to enforce the plan.

No comments: